Thursday, February 5, 2009

Zhimin Li

I spent an afternoon with Zhimin Li, Chinese poet and scholar of American poetry, in Philly for a three day visit. On the right is another scholar, Jamie Tuo, whose Chinese name I never got. He's been here for six months. We talked about much and had a beer at McGlinchey's, a bar I first entered in 1982. No lushes, neither could finish a pint, though Zhimin praised the taste of Rolling Rock. Ronnie, the owner, "So you're back in this country?" "Yeah, I've been back, but I hardly drink anymore. I do miss this place." Not really. Ronnie said that Ruthy, a very cranky but lovable ex art student, would bartend that night. "I must come back to see her some other time."

Zhimin%20Li.jpg



.

6 comments:

joebanford said...

I can't believe Ruthy is still there...Wow, I wonder where Andy is...I think Fred still works there on Saturday nights...is Malloy occasionally haunting the place?

Matthew said...

When compared to Tsingtao or baijiu, Rolling Rock is a good choice.

Matthew said...

Just read through Li's poems--absolutely wonderful writing. Wish I could get submissions like that for tctype.com.

Linh Dinh said...

Yo Matthew,

Zhimin Li teaches in Guangzhou, just down the road from where you are.

joebanford said...

"Secretary General"???

I'm the Lieutenant of neo-formalism gone wild...

Matthew said...

He's in Guangzhou!? Damn, and I'm leaving China in a month.

Followers

Bouncer, Janus, Bellhop